Thursday, 26 September 2013

Inflatable Concert Hall


This is the world's first inflatable concert hall, located in the disaster hit northeastern coast of Matsushima, Miyagi prefecture, Japan. The giant purple structure is called Ark Nova, designed by British sculptor Anish Kapoor and Japanese architect Arata Isozaki. The balloon is coated with polyester material. It measure 18 meters high and 35 meters wide when fully inflated, holding up to 500 people. It can be easily deflated to travel around. The seats are made from fallen cedar trees.

While it may not be possible for grand, large scale concerts, I like the idea of this concert hall because it's very practical for small ones. I think with this innovation, holding charity events will be easier as the hall can be set up on any piece of empty land instead of renting a hall or building. I also like the design of it. It kind of looks like a giant jelly bean :)

No comments:

Post a Comment