Thursday, 26 September 2013

Eloy Morales


The first time I saw Eloy Morales' work,  thought of it as a series of HD photographs of people with paint on their faces. I thought they looked cool. Then, I saw this:


And I realized that those are not photographs. This guy painted large scale portraits of people with thickly painted faces on wide canvas with such meticulous detail that they look like digitally printed photographs.

Morales is a Madrid-based artist. He creates hyper-realistic portraits with oil paint as his medium. Many of his works are self portraits. However, his works are more than just recreating pictures. He believes that his painting is a form of individual expression, and his works try to show the psychological aspects of the subjects painted.

I am really amazed by his works. He must have a lot of patience to do all the layering on the canvas. I like the touch of paint on his portraits' faces. They make them look more photorealistic, while adding colors and the illusion of depth or texture at the same time. The peculiar expressions also stole my attention.


No comments:

Post a Comment