Thursday, 26 September 2013

Alice in Wonderland's Costumes


While Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland (2010) is not my favorite movie, I still think that it had some of the most beautiful costume designs. Of course, Hollywood movies of fairy tale settings mostly have great costumes, but I like how there are so many details even in costumes with minute screen appearance. I think all the characters have beautiful, statement outfits, but I'd like to talk about Alice's costumes.

Costume designer Colleen Atwood purposely designed new concept dresses for Alice. She didn't want the cliche Alice-in-blue-dress-with-white-apron-and-white-headband look that got feral since the Disney version of the movie came out. She also insisted in not dressing Alice in hoopskirts or corsets, to represent the character's free personality and modern mindset.

The two pictures above are my two favorite Alice costumes. The one on the left is her dress when she grew bigger and had to wear make-shift clothes out of the curtains in the Red Queen's castle. I like the ruffles and the playful look of it. The one on the right is her battle armor - one of the very few women's battle-suits in movies that doesn't sexualize the body, is realistic/believable and still manage to look beautiful. I like the gorgeous details and the fact that the armor actually covers the body. Of course, there is nothing wrong with women who are comfortable in showing skin when they dress up (and vice versa), but I'm sick of seeing super sexy, probably-not-comfortable and surely-not-safe battle outfits for women just so men can see their breasts. The armor in this movie is a nice change indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment